Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
You Know Better - Ale Lak Mix (Patron Member) - TEST MIXES - UNOFFICIAL for contest
A super-bold vision, this! I like! Smile In terms of more specific feedback, here are some ideas:
  • Love the modulated wah guitar-sound too. Genuinely ear-catching, yet doesn't feel too out of place stylistically.
  • I like most of the arrangement moves, but the transition into Chorus 2 falls flat. I think it's moving the cymbal onto the downbeat that makes it feel too stiff. The middle-section seems to be lacking a little midrange 'filling' as well -- sounds a touch hollow, somehow.
  • The snare/stick sounds too thin by comparison with the thunderous kick. This robs the fills of some dramatic impact. In general the kit feels quite dislocated, with the added samples (eg. the tom at 2:14) seeming too much like artificial add-ons.
  • There's a bit of 'bloat' building up between the kick and bass at the low end. Differentiating them a bit more tonally would clarify both the beat and the bass melody.
  • The Pre-Intro noise is unwise in the competition situation. Just feels like an inappropriate first impression to make.
  • I think the piano part is currently something of a hostage to fortune. I totally see the point of it in terms of adding realism and extra interest to that part, but it's drawing too much attention to itself, especially during the first two verses. It's something the band didn't do themselves, yet it frequently distracts from things they did, so it's a pretty risky move.

Hope that helps -- love hearing genuinely arresting new visions like this!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ale Lak Mix (Patron Member) - by alelak - 09-01-2019, 01:42 AM
RE: Ale Lak Mix (Patron Member) - by alelak - 10-01-2019, 10:33 PM
RE: Ale Lak Mix (Patron Member) - by alelak - 11-01-2019, 02:13 AM
RE: Ale Lak Mix (Patron Member) - by alelak - 13-01-2019, 06:06 AM
RE: You Know Better - Ale Lak Mix (Patron Member) - UPDATEDv3 - by Mike Senior - 15-01-2019, 11:58 AM