Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
CE Mix - I'm Alright
(31-12-2018, 10:55 PM)Dangerous Wrote: For me, I think the issue is with the length of the reverbs and some of the build up and resonances in the tails.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing to, just to big and long. Unfortunately I think I might be getting a cold or something, my ears are still clogged (that earful of water feeling), so until that clears up I won't be doing any mixing - but I will get back to it, can't stop myself Confused

Quote:I think the guitars and vocal are the biggest culprits. Even if you try and eq the returns to clean up these frequencies first perhaps.

I did not add any rev to the guitars, I think taking the rev off the bass might help things a lot, give it a shot and see what happens, be interesting to listen to the different mixes with different things removed.

Quote:I myself use REAPER. It's cheap, stable and powerful and you can customize pretty much anything to suit yourself. I only mix and occasionally record music just for fun, so it's hard for me to justify throwing too much money at it.

Pretty much my bucket here to, just for fun. Sure I'd love to be working in a studio full-time - but I am just doing this for fun as you are.

As you say, cost is a big factor. I have downloaded Reaper and will give it a try out. I am surely tired of Audition crashing every second edit/change I make.

I've nearly downloaded all the songs from the site Smile

Quote:Good monitoring for me is the most important thing to try and work towards.

Could not agree more. I have the Alesis Elevate 6's. Maybe not the best monitor going, but the best I could afford at the time. I don't have the room for 8" monitors, which I would have liked, but it wasn't to be.

Quote:I think I read somewhere you don't like to reference, but I think you're letting yourself down somewhat.

Maybe I wrote it wrong...
Yes I never listen to a reference mix before I do a mix myself. After I am happy with my mix, then I will listen to a reference or other mixes of the song.

The sole reason I do not listen to a reference mix first up is that I don't want to consciously or sub-consciously emulate what is in the reference mix.

Maybe this is a hang-over from my live days, with bands incessant that they 'sound like' the record/cd what-have-you. My favourite response to such requests was 'If you want to sound like them, play like them". Big Grin
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60

Messages In This Thread
CE Mix - I'm Alright - by Cranky Emu - 31-12-2018, 03:56 AM
RE: CE Mix - I'm Alright - by Dangerous - 31-12-2018, 11:30 AM
RE: CE Mix - I'm Alright - by Cranky Emu - 31-12-2018, 04:28 PM
RE: CE Mix - I'm Alright - by Dangerous - 31-12-2018, 10:55 PM
RE: CE Mix - I'm Alright - by Cranky Emu - 01-01-2019, 03:32 AM
RE: CE Mix - I'm Alright - by Cranky Emu - 01-01-2019, 06:30 AM
RE: CE Mix - I'm Alright - by Cranky Emu - 04-01-2019, 12:06 PM