Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Adam Buckley: 'Drag Me Down' is my first mix on this forum
As Shul said, louder is not always better.
I stopped listening at the 15 second mark, those guitars near rip your ears off. Are you a guitarist by any chance?

It sounds like there is compression over the entire mix, there is compression-like 'pumping' I can hear. Not sure what setup you have, but if you are looking for a good mastering plug-in sniff out the TDR (Tokyo Dawn Records) 'Kotelnikov' plug-in - it is a free and has a lot of good presets already in it ready to go.

I am not sure if this is your 'first mix' or just your first mix here. If it is indeed your first attempt at a mix and I am not being condescending - it sounds you are either monitoring (listening) way loud like some rock concert or monitoring very low and compensating for that in the mix.

Have another go at it, sometimes just a few minor changes can make a world of difference to a mix.
Oh, and always listen to your mix in mono - that will give you a good indication if something is way out of whack or not sounding right, it is not always easy to put your finger on a problem if you mix solely in stereo. Switch back and forward between each regularly, think of mono as a health check for your mix.

As an aside, if you are monitoring at loud volumes for extended periods, you will do nothing but destroy your hearing. You don't want that. 80dB is a good level to monitor at for extended periods, some say 85dB, but if you sit around 80 you're going to get peaks of 85 anyway. Get yourself a cheap SPL Meter off eBay or the likes, you don't need a fancy high-end version (unless you run a commercial studio). Your just looking to get an idea of the sound level - well worth the 20-30 dollars (I speak in AUD money) you pay.
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adam Buckley: 'Drag Me Down' is my first mix on this forum - by Cranky Emu - 31-12-2018, 07:07 AM