Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drag Me Down - My Mix & Master
(24-12-2018, 01:11 AM)Shul Wrote: Here are my observations.

*overall balances are good but there is a wall of foggy sound in front of your mix. I'm not sure if it's mostly the reverb.
*im hearing some low end there that should have been highpassed.
*the toms have long tails of sound and it's a Lil problematic for the overall mix.
*snare sound is pretty dope.
*bass is a Lil too loud in comparison with everything else. Could be that really low energy that I'm perceiving that's making me think it's loud.
*you are overcompressing the master bus. There is a decrease in volume when the drums kick in after the verse.

Hey, I appreciate it. I didn't really use a reference for the track; I kinda just went in blind and tried to figure out what I could come up with in about 1-2 hours. I'm surprised you thought there was too much bass/low-end since I honestly thought I didn't have enough. I kinda noticed a lot of people's mixes were too scooped, and I really like the mid-rich sound, which is probably where the 'foggyness' comes from. You aren't the first to tell me that I overcompress; I usually use like 2-3 compressors on the mix bus then hit it with a hard limiter (I'm pretty obsessive about loudness), but I'll use less compressors and limiting from now on. Anyways, I appreciate the feedback and for not holding back like I said. I might try to look into these changes eventually.

Last thing: as for the high pass filter, I mixed using only laptop speakers and headphones. I haven't gotten the chance to use my speakers yet since I'm away from home.

Messages In This Thread
Drag Me Down - My Mix & Master - by Nick - 23-12-2018, 09:19 PM
RE: Drag Me Down - My Mix & Master - by Shul - 23-12-2018, 10:15 PM
RE: Drag Me Down - My Mix & Master - by Shul - 24-12-2018, 01:11 AM
RE: Drag Me Down - My Mix & Master - by Nick - 24-12-2018, 05:45 AM
RE: Drag Me Down - My Mix & Master - by dcp10200 - 24-12-2018, 08:19 AM
RE: Drag Me Down - My Mix & Master - by Nick - 24-12-2018, 09:32 PM
RE: Drag Me Down - My Mix & Master - by Shul - 24-12-2018, 09:46 AM
RE: Drag Me Down - My Mix & Master - by Nick - 19-01-2019, 07:35 AM