Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Professional mix engineer; wanted to take a crack at one of these "mixing challenges"
(10-06-2018, 11:44 AM)Bangbang Wrote: Hey Ikura!
Great vocals and guitar!
For me, this mix is too compressed. Especially the drums. I don't think that they're playing along with the other instruments.
I would change the bass by cutting some mid frequencies, and maybe lower a db or so. It stands out too much for me.
I also feel that there's no room to breathe. Everything seem to be pushed in your face most of the song. Have you pushed a limiter too hard maybe? Or it might be the overall compression.
I would cut some highs from the tambourine in the choruses.
Other than that, your mix sounds really good! Keep it up!

thank you for the feedback! I was lying about being a professional actually I just felt like I'd receive more feedback that way. I come from a dance music background so I can now definitely hear how everything is overcompressed! Mixing acoustic instruments is still a challenge for me because the process engrained in me over the years makes everything end up sounding tinny.

If I may ask, what are generally your average LUFS/RMS levels on the master bus after mastering? In the loud dance music I make I'd smash it up to around -6 to -8 but I'd assume it's very different in instrumental music like rock. What are some processes I can go through to make a mix loud, present, and exciting, yet also give the the tracks breathing room and detail?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Professional mix engineer; wanted to take a crack at one of these "mixing challenges" - by ikura - 11-06-2018, 04:24 PM