Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Jules King: Never Stop - mydogboris mix
(28-12-2017, 12:11 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi mdboris,

I like your use of effects, for me though, it's just sounding a bit bass light overall. I think some extra drive from the percussion parts would be beneficial also.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, my V2 is definitely lighter on the bass than my first version. Perhaps I got a little over aggressive with the bass compression in the lowest band. I'm going to back off that a bit and try to find the sweet spot. I sometimes use Izotope Tonal Balance to give me hints as to whether or not I am bass light/heavy against popular reference tracks in a similar genre. While I don't usually mix with it on, I looked at it after I saw your comment and it is definitely on the lighter side of the range (V2). Yet my first mix was pushing the limits (on the bass heavy side). So somewhere in between should be right...good ears for noticing that!

Finally, could you clarify what you meant by "extra drive from the percussion parts"? The only percussion parts I have are the [numerous] hats, a single ride, and several cymbals. They all appear to be samples and therefore processed already (although I think I may have added some eq "air" and light compression). I hesitate to bring them up any louder in the mix as I like where they sit and I am very happy with the clarity and sheen on the overall mix. I'm sure you have something in mind as you obviously have a pretty good ear. Thanks, again, for your advice.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jules King: Never Stop - mydogboris mix - by mydogboris - 28-12-2017, 01:13 PM