Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorenzo-Things need changing! It's unmixable
(23-08-2017, 09:17 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: this one does indeed have some technical challenges, but for that reason it's also a good learning opportunity -- and one that relates directly to project-studio reality.

Hello,

One of the tracks was clipping quite badly during recording. I can imagine how it might fox the unwary, because the track had been attenuated sometime after recording and doesn't draw attention to itself, at least not obviously in a visual sense.
If left at it's original level (I assume it wasn't you who changed it during the vetting stage, or you who introduced the clipping?), the community would have had a chance to spot it with their "eyes". They could then "listen" and inform themselves how the material's clipping distortion can be identified "by ear" and in turn become part of the brain's memory for future reference.
If the problem remains hidden and unexposed, it is merely a potential for learning which exists and therefore it is not of itself, educational. It's exposure is, however, and I've surely been educational in providing the catalyst for knowledge and skills development? At least that was the intention.
Now at least, for those who failed to spot the problem, they can go and explore and learn what clipping distortion sounds like and how it imparts itself in a mix by its response to process and parameter selection.
Hopefully, all the flame and discourse has been extinguished herewith, forthwith.

Quote: However, if you wish to contribute to this Discussion Zone, then I would ask you please to help uphold the positive and constructive atmosphere that we've all worked hard to maintain

Yes, I was cheeky. Blush Though it honestly worries me that long time participants can't identify clipping, to use this thread as a case in point. If I read a header or a post that said a project was unmixable, I'd explore why, either through dialogue or simply pursuing the material and pushing it around a bit to try and understand (and hence learn) why they might have felt that way. I'd then make up my own mind about what is, and what isn't, mixable. Not forgetting, of course, that "mixable" is closely correlated to subjectivity anyway, and fundamentally too, one's mixing goals for the project in question.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lorenzo-Things need changing! It's unmixable - by Max Headroom - 06-12-2017, 03:18 PM