Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackie Greene: 'Don't Let The Devil Take Your Mind'
Hi there! Thanks for listening and commenting, appreciated. I've mixed this song a while ago and I had to check what I did then.
- Live sound - this was the first live recording I tried to mix so it was bit challenge. I read that some of the guys did lots of 'cleaning' and trying to limit the bleed to the mics. I did the opposite, I just took the bleed in the mics (e.g. vocals) as part of the overall sound. I did send the drums and vocals to reverb (hall) aux but I only added it a little. I think this live sound comes from this reverb, but also from all the other mics.
- Room mics - I cranked up the high shelf at 8k, used also some compression (6dB); however, in the end the room mics are hardly audible, perhaps they add a bit of color, but I didn't use much of them.
- Compression - yes, true. I've checked and I did use quite a lot of it on the lead vocal. I think because (i) it's a live recording and I guess Jackie wasn't standing as still as he would in a recording studio so I used quite a lot of automation and compression to get more constant levels, and (ii) because in my early mixes I used it way more than I do now Smile After your comment I tried with less compression and it sounds better, thanks.

Thanks for the comments, I'll try to post corrected version asap Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jackie Greene: 'Don't Let The Devil Take Your Mind' - by ujerovsek - 25-11-2017, 04:55 PM