Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Carol Dant_Do Not Stand_mix Tommy Marcinek
Hi Tommy,

Overall a cool sounding mix, the chorusing/widening on the vocals is a nice touch and makes it feel like you're being surrounded by the vocals. The extra samples were a good move from a technical point, however the point of the loop is for it to be dirty and cold sounding while the choir, bass, and rhodes provide the warmer sounds, a contrast.

If you keep the extra samples in for the whole mix it loses the natural build of the piece, it's just big all the way through and this track needs to build right to the end, notice how sparce the intro is and how the instruments start to get more dense as the track goes on. make one thing bigger in the intro and it takes away from the end. I would introduce those samples in at a later point in the piece, more towards the end. The vocal effect could use the same kind of approach, keep the intro dry, add the delays in during the first section of edited vocal, and the rest of the way use the chorus.

In my mix I added in some programmed drums towards the final section of the track in an effort to add some drama at the closing section, and a shaker a little after the drums and vocals drop out to give a tighter resolve. This track is a great musical sandbox because of the low track count, so the mixes of this track should be really cool to hear because of how many places you can take the arrangement.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
RE: Carol Dant_Do Not Stand_mix Tommy Marcinek - by dcp10200 - 07-09-2017, 12:50 AM