Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape - Into My Dreams
Hey Simon ! I'm Florian, drummer of Perpetual Escape. Thank you for mixing our song, and let's go for your mix review Smile

- Drums: Hmm I like how they sound Smile They have punch and clarity and sit well in the mix. Some little things you can improve: The kick lacks some definition. I can hear a lot of lows, probably around 70-80Hz but it sounds masked by the bass. I think you should work on their relationship and make sure one of them is above the other. I usually place my kick at 55-60 Hz and my bass at 80 Hz with complementary EQ.
The snare has a lot of impact, which is great, but the snare side is too loud. It's very obvious when I hit the toms. The wires vibrate sympathetically. You can leave as it is but think of using automation when I hit the toms. Maybe a fat sample can enhance it by bringing a bigger body. Just an option though Wink
The hats are a bit loud and aggressive. You can deess them, or use a pretty drastic low pass.

- Bass: very round and full of low ends, maybe a little bit too much. As previously said, it masks the kick, so grab your EQ to make sure they work together.

- Guitars: Nice tone and vibe ! Maybe some lead guitars could a little more louder. For example, in the second part of the first solo, the keys are louder. The lead guitar sound more distant while it should be upfront. Same thing for the last part. The song finishes on a long and fantastic performance of our guitarist, so make it epic Wink
At last, I think some automation on guitar volume would create different atmospheres through the different parts. For example, in part 4 (progressive part), the guitars can be louder as they're the only melodic instruments which can express the nightmare of the child. So make sure the guitars are the most important instruments in this part.

- Keys: I really like the FX you used on them, to give them space and depth. It works really well through the whole song. They sit very well in the mix, while being louder than in other mixes. Very well done mate !

- Vocals: maybe a little bit aggressive in general, in the 2k-4k area. Surely they cut well through the mix, but it's a bit irritating for the ears. In part 3, I wish they were louder. This is a tricky part to deal with. It's all about the death, a very dark feeling while the child is dreaming. The vibe Anaïs put in her performance is very important. So make sure it's not overwhelmed by the instruments (without being too loud indeed Wink )
During the Pink Floyd's "Great Gig In The Sky" part, the backing vocals are louder than the main vocals. Some little automation will do the trick here to make the main vocals more consistant Smile

That's all for me Smile I hope you had fun with these tracks ! I'm looking forward to hearing your revised mix.

Cheers
Florian - Perpetual Escape.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Perpetual Escape - Into My Dreams - by kapu - 18-07-2017, 04:36 PM
RE: Perpetual Escape - Into My Dreams - by Mandubien - 29-07-2017, 03:31 PM