Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions - One Minute Smile (BRBWaffles Free Plugins Mix)
Hey, Nick here again. Another practice mix that I just finished, unless there are any adjustments that need to be made that anyone can point out. I tried to challenge myself and complete this one with nothing but free plugins. Nevertheless, my ear tells me this is likely the best mix yet, so I hope you enjoy.

Notes:
-While I did do this mix using mostly free plugins that can be found online, there are only two exceptions. I used Audio Assault's "The Punch" on a snare send, because I got it for free. But, it wasn't truly needed. It's a transient designer and saturator in one plugin, so I could have easily accomplished the same goal another way. I also used Addictive Drums 2 to replace the kick. Other than that, the mix was done for free.

-The vocals were recorded into heavy compression and the signals were really hot to begin with. So, I was having a really hard time with the high end on the vocals. Too little high end and they weren't bright enough, too much and they were too brittle. It's problems like this that led me to never track through processing with vocals. You can't get that brittle-sounding grit out once it is in there. So, the vocals might be too loud. Let me know what you think.

-The kick is the only fully triggered drum. I kept the original toms and snare, but used samples for re-enforcement.

-Vocal breaths are left in to taste. I removed the breaths that I didn't feel served the music.

-I tried my best to kill the mud in the guitars, but it appears to be integral to the midrange. After listening to everyone else's mixes I'm kind of accepting that this is just the reality of the recordings. The guitars are very unmanageable around the 200Hz and 400Hz ranges. It was either take the mud out and have scooped guitars, or leave it in and have blurry guitars. Not much of a choice. This will illustrate the importance of getting good, solid recordings first and foremost. Don't assume subtractive EQ will save you if you don't like the way your recordings sound.

As before, if anyone wants me to upload a tutorial video to YouTube, I'd be more than happy to make one.

.mp3    One Minute Smile (Third Revision).mp3 --  (Download: 6.16 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Actions - One Minute Smile (BRBWaffles Free Plugins Mix) - by BRBWaffles - 23-07-2017, 08:36 PM