Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Perpetual Escape: 'Into My Dreams' kapu mix
(16-07-2017, 09:38 AM)azwayne Wrote: Nice direction [...]

Never pack plugins, you keep working on it if you're not happy! Whenever I get the 'I-worked-like-a-dog-and-it-still-sounds-like-crap-in-comparison' I go listen some really old mixes I and others have made, just to hear my own progress and that the others weren't always that good. Already I'm thinking I should fix a ton of things. ^_^

It's hard to say how much time I've spent with this. I've done some other Perpetual Escape stuff here before, so I was already kind of familiar with the production, the sound of the tracks and multi-miced guitars, so I didn't have spend time and familiarize myself with the 'mood'. Basically my approach is 'rock band and some atmo-synth-effect-stuff'. Went through the tracks with live venue 'sound check' style. Ditched all other guitars but mic 4, which sounded familiar. Grouped similar sounding guitar tracks, and separated different sections on individual tracks inside the group to set 'static' panning instead of having to automate the LR balance of guitars. Tweaked guitar sounds in groups. Used relative level automation. Found two reverb presets from Space Designer with appropriate names: Long Dream 10 sec and Dream Hall 5 sec. Soaked pretty much everything with these. Also used some tempo synced delays with Delay Designer, as tempo map was kindly provided with the session. In the 'madness' part the backing vocals are almost completely wet with reverb and delay. But I think the time to get things 'ticking' was about a few hours, and after that comes the endless tweaking of stuff nobody else even notices, and it's still going on. ^_^

Messages In This Thread
RE: Perpetual Escape: 'Into My Dreams' kapu mix - by kapu - 16-07-2017, 02:33 PM