Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Hammer Down Mix and Faux Master by Doug
(05-04-2017, 01:40 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: Side note: According to one of my friends who used to work at RCA Studios Toronto...

Cheers,
Doug

Sounds similar to reasoning behind Ibanez tube screamers in that they were affordable so everyone used them and they found their way onto many records. As a result we have been influenced to associate that sound with those great recordings and covet the tube screamer. In actuality, the tube screamer chip is cheap and by today's standards, garbage. But, we've been conditioned to like the aesthetic of the tube screamer and if there were some other pedal used instead we would find that pedal on lots of records too.
[/quote]

Probably so, when I mixed this track I used Waves SSL channel strips as my eq and compression solution for most every thing, probably the best eq for guitars and bass because of how surgical they can get without sounding strange at extreme cuts and boosts. That also is why I generally go for a Neve style master buss emulation, most of the time it works (especially for lighter stuff) but for this track the SSL sound works (that top end distortion drives me up a wall though Big Grin)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hammer Down Mix and Faux Master by Doug - by dcp10200 - 05-04-2017, 02:57 PM