Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Hammer Down Mix and Faux Master by Doug
(04-04-2017, 09:38 AM)Max Headroom Wrote:
(03-04-2017, 08:23 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: if your wondering what a Faux Master is, it's basically me throwing a limiter and minor multiband compression and eq on the mixdown so that it's loud enough to be played on different systems.

In other words, you're adding significantly more distortion than already exists in the mix. It simply makes life more difficult assessing the mix for what it is.

Here's my definition:

Faux = F***up lol.

Being unable to master is nothing to be ashamed about.

Why don't you simply peak normalise it to, say, -2dBFS and let us deal with the loudness by simply turning the amps up?

Actually, given the high degree of skills necessary to master, I'm frankly surprised it isn't a posting criteria that no stereo buss processing be applied. This is a mixing forum after all. It would certainly help overcome the ridiculous loudness war that folk engage in around here. And it would deal immediately with those who are gullible to falling prey to the "Loud is perceived good even when it isn't", mantra.

While I'm on the subject of assessment, why are you posting even more data reduced low quality audio material than needs be, complete with the codec's additional associated artefacts and distortions? Where's the love?

Funny thing about this, I'm not actually pulling any reduction on my limiter. I can post a non master version of this if it would make you cringe less. The reason we don't post using external links is to prevent dead links and other issues from happening, here is Mike's explanation http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/misc....help&hid=9.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hammer Down Mix and Faux Master by Doug - by dcp10200 - 04-04-2017, 11:03 AM