Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decypher - Unseen Mix by Nick kapp

Thanks for the input! I'm using the original guitar tracks. I scrapped mic 2 because I had already gotten what I wanted out of mic 1 with a bit of processing. I'm compressing the guitars with a 4:1 ratio, 10.5 ms attack, -14 db threshold and 3 db of gain. Shaping wise, I'm EQing with a Pultec emulation and cutting at 500 hz with a value of 1 (basically nothing, just making room for other instruments). I'm then just cutting out whistling and shrill frequencies in the highs and brightening it up with a high shelf. I'm also using a multi-band compressor for controlling the sub-100 hz on palm mutes. I actually found that I was having quite a bit of trouble getting the guitars bright enough to where I wanted them, so unless my monitoring system is screwed up (Which I doubt, since I mix on Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones that I also listen to all my music on media on, so I have a good idea of how they sound in regards to music) it may just come down to personal taste as to how bright it should be. Could you suggest anything EQ wise that would make the guitars sound better? Thanks.

P.S. Regarding the snare, I found that I could get it to work by messing with the gate settings in Garage Band. I also had to delete a single ghost note in the song because it was triggering my gate but it didn't close fast enough, letting the transient of the next hi-hat hit get through, which was super annoying. If I had access to some kind of triggering software, I would probably blend in a sample just for some extra stick attack, as I found the snare sounded a bit flat in that regard.

Messages In This Thread
Decypher - Unseen Mix by Nick kapp - by NickKapp - 19-03-2017, 04:32 AM
RE: Decypher - Unseen Mix by Nick kapp - by NickKapp - 20-03-2017, 10:07 PM
RE: Decypher - Unseen Mix by Nick kapp - by TiPa - 28-03-2017, 01:58 PM