Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Left Blind - Hard Mix - No Drum Samples
(27-02-2017, 01:41 AM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It feels ok. It reminds me of a late 80s metal or hardcore mix. I don't mean that in a bad way. My biggest issue is it feels too "mono". My gut reaction is to want the guitars panned hard left and right but I'm not sure if that would change the feel of everything else. Maybe more cymbals. A little more bass guitar too. I don't really hear it but it might be just following the guitars tight enough that it doesn't stand out.

Overall it works. It reminds me of some of the sounds of music I grew up with. I don't know how a younger listener would react to it. It feels like a mix and I may have done some things differently I think it works for the song.

I did have it originally with the guitars hard panned left and right, but I kinda thought maybe that the way I have it was better (75%) but here's it hard panned. But re-listening to it i think hard panned is better because I have have the 3rd guitar just sitting center.

I did some tweaking including what you said about the cymbals, but looking at I realized the cymbals were the worst part recorded. I ended up having to us the OH mic as part the snare mic because of how bad the OH were recorded. I also tweaked the guitars, I used a different preset I had and i seemed to helped the "mononess" of the guitars, though the only thing that'll truly fix that is removing the 3rd guitar and then tweaking around the other 2 since the 3rd adds to the volume of the other 2 and help them punch through the mix. And as for the bass I saw what you were saying and tuned them it a bit different, and lowered the the distortion I had on my one bass track (I use 2 bass tracks, one just the low frequencies and do a bass lowpass and the other for distortion).

.mp3    Hollow Ground - Left Blind.mp3 --  (Download: 5.91 MB)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Left Blind - Hard Mix - No Drum Samples - by OmegaTheRed - 27-02-2017, 04:02 AM