Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admiral Crumple 'Keeps Flowing' [MixdByD]
I only checked the Master version but here's what I hear.

I like the kick. I think it could use a very slight cut in the low end. It's a little too much "I'm my chest" if that makes sense. It should be a compression thing. I don't notice if there's an overall mix/master compressor but it's possible the kick is triggering that. If there is a mix bus compressor see if there's a side chain filter that will keep the kick from hitting the compressor too much. It's minor and a subtle thing I notice though so don't worry about it too much.

The intro feels a little clumsy right where the song comes in. Maybe a quick fade in or bring some parts in a few beats or bars later. Maybe just use the piano and bring in the drums where the snare first comes in.

The snare works. It just needs more punch and be a little more up front and on par with the kick. Maybe use less reverb or if the reverb is on the track already try duplicating the snare track and adding a gate and compressor to accentuate the attack and blend it in with the original snare.

I don't think it needs more de-essing. The Esses are fine. The vocal does need something to make it a little more aggressive. Maybe some parallel compression or subtle distortion or overdrive to give it some thickness and edge.

I'm not sure what's going on with the bass. It's a little washy and indistinct but I suspect that's how it is on the track. The song could really benefit from having a focused bass line to anchor the mix. I don't know the multitracks so I don't know what you have to work with.

Edit: I just checked out the multitracks. It looks like there's just a 'sample' track to work with so that explains the lack of bassline
The sections of the song could be more distinct. Especially the chorus.

I think that's it. It's not a bad mix it could just use some excitement. Hope that helps.
It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Admiral Crumple 'Keeps Flowing' [MixdByD] - by Roy - 29-11-2016, 03:08 PM