Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ThePhonk's mix
I kind of figured that you intentionally left out some of the lower frequency information.

Okay, let me elaborate on my comment of spatial information right quick. When I try to picture the location of the instruments in your mix how it looks to me is something like this. Off in the back almost in a corner is where the drums are located. I'm not sure where the tambourine is located, but honestly I'm just going say %*(# it on that particular instrument. The Piano sounds like it is well behind the other instruments really striking those keys. Honestly, one of my favorite things about this mix is actually the piano.

Now, where the mix really falls apart for me is with the guitars and the vocals. What I hear is the vocalist really on the mic. Directly on either side almost as if it is the same mic honestly are the guitars. They sound like they're coming from exactly the same source in the same place in the room. That is the problem I have with the spatial information in general. There is just no separation to tell the ear that the guitar is over there, ______ distance from the vocalist and _______ distance on the other side of the room/on the same side of the room as the other guitar. I just hear absolutely no reference for it. Not a predelay on a reverb, not a delay, not even Haas effect kind of stuff. I'm literally lost trying to figure out where the instruments are.

So, my question "Is forgoing layers of information and definition the ultimate goal coming up with an edge?" has more than one area that I draw into question. Now, if you will let me I'm going to pose a few more questions. These questions are questions that I asked myself when listening and tried my best to figure out as I listened.

Why drop below Middle C information? What purpose does that serve in the context of the mix? Does it create a more enjoyable listen or does it create a more interesting listen? What are the location of the instruments in context of one another? Is the hammond off to the side or centered and behind everything? What about the Piano? Or the drums? But most interestingly why keep the guitars and vocalist as to appear as if they're coming from the same point in space? Does it lead to a better vision of the mix? Does it make it difficult for the ear to tell what is going on?

I could write what I consider the answer based on what I hear. But I don't think it really matters what I think. What I do believe matters is the answer to a question that one should ask every time they do a mix. Does the mix truly exemplify the song? There are many different interpretations of that question and ultimately lies with the artist's vision of the song, but should be something at least in the back of any mixers head when mixing.

Okay, I need to stop writing lol. I'm beginning to make myself question myself Blush Really just more to think about than anything else.

Messages In This Thread
ThePhonk's mix - by ThePhonk - 01-06-2013, 01:12 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by APZX - 01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by ThePhonk - 01-06-2013, 03:47 PM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by bmullen - 01-06-2013, 06:34 PM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by APZX - 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by ThePhonk - 03-06-2013, 12:42 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by takka360 - 03-06-2013, 01:00 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by APZX - 04-06-2013, 09:58 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by ThePhonk - 04-06-2013, 03:51 PM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by APZX - 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by ThePhonk - 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM