Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'd Rather Be Drinkin' (jtbStudio)
Listening to the raw tracks, nothing really jumped out at me as needing attention. The drums didn't work for me, so I replaced them, and a great-sounding snare and kick made all the difference. I got Slate's Trigger during a special, and even with another $50 for an iLok, it's still far and away the best money I've spent for my mixes.

I spent a bit of time evening out the snare hits, but not too perfectly. As Mike said in his podcast, the loose feeling is part of the song's appeal, and having perfect snare hits would take something away from that.

The preview track felt a bit flat to me, so my main aim when mixing was to inject some energy into the song. The solos pop out more, and the instruments go nuts quite nicely in the background during the outro Smile

The only thing I'm maybe not happy about is how the vocal is sitting in the mix. It doesn't feel right, but I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong. I've been experimenting with compressing vocals a bit harder than I usually do, and this one's peaking at around 10dB, across 2 compressors, but it seemed to be appropriate for the song. I suspect the problem is with the delay/reverb. I might take another listen in a few weeks Smile

.mp3    I\'d Rather Be Drinkin\' (jtbStudio).mp3 --  (Download: 6.15 MB)

Mixing and mastering at jtbStudio.com
My music at JazzTeddyBears.com

Messages In This Thread
I'd Rather Be Drinkin' (jtbStudio) - by jtbStudio - 16-11-2016, 09:33 AM
RE: I'd Rather be Drinkin' (jtbStudio) - by Roy - 16-11-2016, 02:41 PM
RE: I'd Rather Be Drinkin' (jtbStudio) - by Roy - 17-11-2016, 02:37 PM