Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ThePhonk's mix
Phonk,
The main things I'd be spoiling are not really major things. I shall not do it either. Instead I'm going to comment on my idea of this concept of edge you're looking for.

My single biggest gripe with this mix going for that edge, is to forgo a layer of definition for it. Now, I'd personally consider your mix more aggressive in overall sound. Nothing wrong with that at a fundamental level at all. Personally, I don't think that suits the song at all. To me the song wishes wants to be smoother and really play with energy. That is why I approached my mix the way I did. Fair enough you looked at it differently than myself.

Now, this layer of definition I'm talking about. When I listen to this mix all I'm really hearing is high end information on pretty much everything. Sure there is some bass and the kick has a little bit of low end. That is true. But the vocal has no real presence around 150-400Hz. That would be fine if there were something else down there such as the guitars, but they have the same issue. The only real thing in the mix to fill that gap in partially is the piano, but that is only during the choruses.

But I find that there is even more lacking in the mix. For me it is spatial information. Listening to your mix it sounds essentially mono. There is some stereo stuff, but mainly it is all restricted into mono. But what I find so interesting is actually the real lack of separation between the guitars and the vocals. The Piano, drums, Vocals, and Hammond all sound pretty separated naturally but the guitars are not all that separated from the vocals. Additionally the only instrument/instruments that actually sound like they were deliberately placed are the Drums and to a degree the Hammond (but honestly the Hammond already sounds pretty distant into the mix due to the way it was recorded). Essentially, I'm not hearing exactly where you wanted to place each instrument. To me it sounds like everything but the drums are placed directly in front of me. I have no real complaints about the bass, it sounds about how it should I think.

So, with that all being said I pose a question. Is forgoing layers of information and definition the ultimate goal coming up with an edge?

Messages In This Thread
ThePhonk's mix - by ThePhonk - 01-06-2013, 01:12 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by APZX - 01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by ThePhonk - 01-06-2013, 03:47 PM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by bmullen - 01-06-2013, 06:34 PM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by APZX - 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by ThePhonk - 03-06-2013, 12:42 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by takka360 - 03-06-2013, 01:00 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by APZX - 04-06-2013, 09:58 AM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by ThePhonk - 04-06-2013, 03:51 PM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by APZX - 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM
RE: ThePhonk's mix - by ThePhonk - 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM