Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I'm Alright - IRONWORK 2hr mix/mst
Here's a second version. I wanted to make the snare drum stand out better in the mix, maybe bring up the piano a fraction, and dial back slightly on the reverb that I'd applied on the first mix.

The snare track was pretty messy so I didn't think it would react well to compression. Instead I added a noise gate to take out most of the spill from the kick and cymbals, then boosted the attack slightly with Transient Monster (http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/tr...t-monster/). I eased off the reverb for the acoustic guitars, panned the piano right 10% and added a little automation to highlight it better at certain points in the song.

Overall I'm really pleased with this new mix, so a big thank you to Olli H for the snare comment.

Still, I'm hard-pressed to say if I like this as much as Olli or The Wizzard's mixes... They're both a bit more "leap out of the speakers into your face" - more dry and probably more modern-sounding, whereas I find mine has a kind of "cosy taverna" ambience (maybe there was a subconscious 1990s Gypsy Kings thing going on in my head...). In any case, it was fun!

.mp3    I\'m Alright - IRONWORK_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.22 MB)

Messages In This Thread
I'm Alright - IRONWORK 2hr mix/mst - by IRONWORK - 27-09-2016, 08:18 PM
RE: I'm Alright - IRONWORK 2hr mix/mst - by IRONWORK - 05-10-2016, 06:32 PM