Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix
(22-09-2016, 07:32 AM)Olli H Wrote: SOunds like a record: smooth, balanced and natural. I like the fact that the mixer has not forced his imprint to this mix, but it sounds like artist’s vision with a natural focus in vox.

The moving cello in the intro feels like an added effect.

Thanks. The cello 'move' in the intro just comes from the performance, as they are panned off-centre; one on the right starts and the one on the left carries on. But yes, thinking now, it might sound a bit artificial, or 'too good' and unorganic.

I started working with the broadcast and film post-production approach, and used the dialogue, or in this case the lead vocal, as an 'anchor' around which everything else 'revolves.' Based on the idea that we humans, for some reason, like to hear the human voice pretty much at a constant level. There is quite heavy processing on the vocals, so nice to hear they still sound natural. I think the instrument performance has a nice natural intensity build-up, so I set their levels so, that near the end they might slightly overpowering, and maybe a bit too quiet in the beginning. I tried to even this out with slight levelling and parallel compression. Then used eq to make room for the vocals as much as possible. Good to hear this, at least in some manner, turned out to be a good mix, and it sounds the way I mostly intended. Getting better, getting better. ^_^

Messages In This Thread
James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 21-09-2016, 03:27 PM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 22-09-2016, 10:59 AM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 22-09-2016, 02:15 PM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 23-09-2016, 02:40 PM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 24-09-2016, 03:22 AM
RE: James May: 'Hold The Line' kapu mix - by kapu - 24-09-2016, 03:28 PM