Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Graham - HB Mix
(19-04-2016, 12:13 PM)Olli H Wrote: VOx sound is great
Overall sound feels balanced to me.

Drums sound maybe a bit too compressed. Now there’s no room for small accents. Listen for example 0:24 when drums come in after soft voice. THere should be an explosion.

Is it compression that brings up cymbals?

Drum groove is fine elsewhere except behind the solo. Something weird is happening there. Is snare too compressed there? Somehow the tail is spoiling the feeling.

Hi Olli - thx for listening and for your comments

re compression - totally agree. I used a different compressor than i normally do on the drum bus (for fun and experimenting) and it made it sound worse than i thought. A lot of the weirdness in the timings are being caused I think by the release times being not right for such a fast song- and the compressor I chose is simple analogue style with no release controls.

I've been having a break from the song but I'll probably go and have one more go at improving it - i have some ideas that seem to work...just need a final balance check.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar

Messages In This Thread
Four Graham - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 15-04-2016, 02:35 AM
RE: Four Graham - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 16-04-2016, 04:59 AM
RE: Four Graham - HB Mix - by Shul - 16-04-2016, 06:14 AM
RE: Four Graham - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 17-04-2016, 01:33 AM
RE: Four Graham - HB Mix - by Olli H - 19-04-2016, 12:13 PM
RE: Four Graham - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 21-04-2016, 05:17 AM
RE: Four Graham - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 22-04-2016, 01:45 AM