Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Justin Myles - Shortened arrangement (mix now posted)
(08-03-2016, 09:55 AM)Bereket Wrote: Actually If you guys have noticed even the reference track from Justin Myles him searching for loudness robbed the bass the hell out of it. If you put the music in a normal listening stage, it sounds empty. when you put the volume up everything looks to popup. In fact as I always do I listen in a very lower volume to understand the music and as I did I said to myself, Oh boy an artist plying R&B but looking for Hip hop.

i simply thought he was a guy who lives for music and had a go at doing his own recordings within his own personal, individual constraints and within the constraints of the signal chain available to him (including the room acoustic issues), like many multi's in the MDL.

in doing so, he's given us a challenge, a challenge to understand what the issues are within the tracking while doing our best to produce something as good as we can with those materials...and have fun working it.

as regards your R&B vs Hip-hop note, i'd say "Who cares?"; he's the artist.....it's what he does and how he presents it to the world is all that matters surely, not what we think or understand or interpret. so, mix it how you like....take a pot-shot at what you think he might like...or simply go wild and explore your plug-in collection Big Grin

Quote:Is he looking for a loud mix or a character colorful or bringing the feeling of the music out? So confusing right?.............. For Justin Myles bringing a loud mix as reference makes it hard to know what he needs.

i totally disagree. it's not a reference mix....it's simply a posted mix to give us all an idea of what the song sounds like before we go to all the effort of downloading it and dumping it in our DAW.

we are not here to give the artist what he wants, and "only a fool would try and make that assessment from an mp3", to quote Izhaki. it's not a brief, it has no value. so, if we open our minds, we can do our own interpretations as FREE THINKING mixing engineers and simply do a mix from our own personal interpretation and ideas and values....without judgement as to whether the Artist likes it or dislikes it. let's not forget, that in this forum, the artist, if he/she/they are around to pass comment and opinions (+90 percent aren't because they don't care or don't exist any more), are only making a subjective assessment based on their own tastes. some can take that and try and deliver it (nothing wrong with that, of course, if they feel this is one of their goals), but others, like myself, prefer the freedom to experiment and explore without the constraints....i get constraints every day of my life, and it's cool to have this freedom.

Quote:@The_Metallurgist
Even though what you have written and the mix you have provided is not compatible............

IT'S NOT A MIX!!!!!!!!
I HAVEN"T MIXED IT YET!!!!!

READ THE LAST GREEN SENTENCE OF MY POST.

OH PLEASE, IT ISN'T EVEN STEREOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

LOL

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Justin Myles - Shortened arrangement - by The_Metallurgist - 10-03-2016, 05:42 PM