Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Justin Myles - Shortened arrangement (mix now posted)
(08-03-2016, 09:55 AM)Bereket Wrote: Actually If you guys have noticed even the reference track from Justin Myles him searching for loudness robbed the bass the hell out of it. If you put the music in a normal listening stage, it sounds empty. when you put the volume up everything looks to popup. In fact as I always do I listen in a very lower volume to understand the music and as I did I said to myself, Oh boy an artist plying R&B but looking for Hip hop.

Justin Myles's bass has Character and a give and take with his Electric Guitar on the raw material that we happen to be lucky enough to have it. But I don't even know how he didn't notice in the process of the mastering stage all those thing has been lost. Just because of searching for loudness. And in my POV that will mislead so many engineers in the process of mixing. Is he looking for a loud mix or a character colorful or bringing the feeling of the music out? So confusing right? Making Mix louder is not that much of a big deal the less bottom end the bigger the headroom it will be and it is very sad to see the Acc guitar and the Bass suffer to that. For Justin Myles bringing a loud mix as reference makes it hard to know what he needs.

@The_Metallurgist

Even though what you have written and the mix you have provided is not compatible, It doesn't make it the end of the world. Sometimes what we think and what we do might not be similar but what we felt inside about it is more important cause I believe yo will be a great engineer but it might not be on this mix or the next. And my advice is Keep on mixing and bring your best. Don't take comments personally even though they tend to be personal. Believe in yourself and I believe in you, You will be great mixer. Just keep on mixing.
Hey Bereket,

The reference track is actually mixed by me. It had no mastering process, as he just wanted to see what kind of mix I would make, and said he would like it if I posted the song on here. I threw a limiting amp on the end to bring the volume up to a comparable level, but didn't think I had destroyed the dynamics of the song at lower levels. But, you live, you learn, and I will be more cognizant of it in the future (however I do make sure I vary my volume knob when I mix). Thanks for the input!

Draper

Messages In This Thread
RE: Justin Myles - Shortened arrangement - by loweche6 - 08-03-2016, 04:14 PM