Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Justin Myles - Shortened arrangement (mix now posted)
(08-03-2016, 02:46 AM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:
(07-03-2016, 04:04 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Ummm.... that was interesting. I have to be honest here, the mix you just posted doesn't sound very good at all, it sounds like a conglomeration of sounds.

Phew, that's a relief!

as i said in the final paragraph before the red bit...
"It's not mixed yet, but is ready for the process."

Look, I'm really sorry you missed the fact that this was only a sketch and that you went to so much trouble to offer some tips and stuff. You put in a really great effort and I thank you for that.

One of the reasons I put this up was because there might be some out there who hadn't perhaps thought about doing a more condensed and succinct mix, a kind of "radio edit", because there's some great opportunity in this multi to take it in several directions and I wouldn't object to anyone "borrowing" the idea.

Sorry you had to endure the mono-stereo...but the finished mix should be a lot more entertaining; at least it will be in stereo Big Grin

Not sure where you think I have a disdain for compression though, because that's not the case. The trouble is, compression tends to get over-used and abused with deleterious effects on the music so there's a lot of opportunities to discuss it. It's actually all too easy to find mixes in the forum which have been pushed too far the wrong way....my mix of Amber Sky is a good example of cranking things beyond the point of ridiculousness, for example Angel

Anyway, this multi wasn't as bad as I thought; the acoustic guitar is a little lifeless for a 24bit and the snare's clipped for example, but there is one area in particular which was a train smash which I'll bring up when I post the mix. I think you will see what I mean when you hear it.....it's only in one part of the song where it's been cranked, but it can't be hidden, more's the pity.

I'll drop in and have a listen to your mix later and see how you got on.

laters dude,,
You ripped Till a new one about a master that sounded good, sure it was hot and compressed sounding, it still had dynamics and didn't sound dull, at least to my ears. Still waiting for your masterful mix of Sleep by the Fire.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

Messages In This Thread
RE: Justin Myles - Shortened arrangement - by dcp10200 - 08-03-2016, 04:26 AM