Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first try
Hello to all, And thank you Marc for welcoming to to this wonderful site and your kind words.

First off let tell you all how I got going on this project and finding this site.
It all started on Youtube. surfing around different pro audio related videos.
I stumbled upon Dave Pensado's site and after watching a couple of episodes, I thought I would give mixing in the box a try.
So I downloaded Reaper and found some plugins, (I don't have any real gear. just a cheap desk top with some low end Logitec pc speakers and some low end headphones) I need some tracks so I searched around and found this site.
perused the offering in the multitrack section picked the Good time tune.. closest thing I could find to what I like musically and dint have to many track to deal with.seemed simple enough to try.

I am a Old School monitor mix engineer by trade so no this isn't my first mix but it is my first attempt at a recording mix and DAW.
And I am a Analog man be nature I've only been on a digital desk for a few years now.. I know I'm old and set in my ways but I finally decided to join the digital party.
I have a hard time mixing with a mouse and a screen. I find my self still mixing with my eyes looking at a screen than with my ears.. but that's for another discussion.
Anyways so I started messing around teaching myself the program and found it kinda fun..
Monitor mixing is way different It doesn't lend it self to creativity at all!
Thank you for commenting on the guitar texture. the guitars gave me quite a challenge..I know how I wanted them to sound in my head but I couldn't quite get there.
And yes my mix was very mono. I was starting with tone and over all mix.
Stereo imaging and depth is something that I'm going to strive for in my next mix.
Not a whole lot of that happening in a live monitor mix. And i'm used to listening to a mono cue wedge all night.
Believe it or not, but that was totally a static mix. No automation, ( because I haven't figured out that part of the program yet and no the fly mixing of any kind. just set and forget. Again, from my live monitor mixing.

This has been a blast. I look forward to participating in this site and learning more from everyone.
And Thank you all for welcoming me.

Kevin.

Messages In This Thread
My first try - by [email protected] - 03-04-2013, 06:42 AM
RE: My first try - by ThePhonk - 04-04-2013, 02:27 AM
RE: My first try - by [email protected] - 04-04-2013, 10:01 AM