Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first mix - Never Say Goodbye
Ok, last update for a week - damn work keeps getting in the way of mixing... :-)

I tried to get some more body into the lead vocals and balanced it a bit more. Tried a bit on getting the piano up a touch, but I think I have more work to do with that.

Tried to warm the track up a touch, as well...

Lammy, I really do appreciate the attention you're putting to this - it's teaching me how to be more granular with listening...

Dave

(23-07-2015, 10:48 AM)Lammy Wrote: Hi,
I've just run again through headphones and iphone buds.
In my opinion this is a dramatic improvement. Lot more balance between parts.

Before I give up with suggestions (that eventually would just reflect my taste):

- you may want to review when the piano needs the same stand-out treatment in some 3:53, 4:03 on 4:41-4:43 and on. Maybe the strings are to be reduced a bit in vol to make the piano phrasing a little forward in these moments.

- You may want to experiment with some extra reverb (global, or on busses):
on vox,
on acoustic guit to open it up,
on snare, toms and overheads - that's going to be more tricky
To have the reverb stand out and add substance instead of bringing the part backwards (beyond the selection of which reverb and which tail length) I sometimes eq the reverb buss and compress it with a 1176 emulator plugin.

(23-07-2015, 05:09 AM)DaveNJ Wrote: I couldn't hear what you were referring to on the tom, but I will check again...

- there was something with the tom but it's now less audible or was not so relevant. I remember I notched something in my mix that I could hear in yours but, just forget about it.

cheers

.mp3    Never Say Goodbye.3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.52 MB)

Messages In This Thread
My first mix - Never Say Goodbye - by DaveNJ - 21-07-2015, 10:29 PM
RE: My first mix - Never Say Goodbye - by Lammy - 22-07-2015, 02:32 PM
RE: My first mix - Never Say Goodbye - by DaveNJ - 22-07-2015, 08:40 PM
RE: My first mix - Never Say Goodbye - by DaveNJ - 23-07-2015, 05:09 AM
RE: My first mix - Never Say Goodbye - by Lammy - 23-07-2015, 10:48 AM
RE: My first mix - Never Say Goodbye - by DaveNJ - 25-07-2015, 03:19 PM
RE: My first mix - Never Say Goodbye - by Lammy - 03-08-2015, 07:51 PM