Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jules King - Never Stop
Hi, John!

great idea about reading The Art of Mixing. That's how I started two years ago and even now, I find myself reading certain chapters once in a while since there's always good information available there.

I cannot tell you 'the secret recipe' to mix kick and bass because it depends always on the tracks you're working with, but I can give you a couple of ways to mix them:

1: kick and bass sidechain: you place a compressor to the bass track and you sidechain the kick to it, so everytime the kick hits, it will lower the bass leaving room for both sounds to interact together. You can watch this video where it's explained quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1tDwl0r5k

2: another way is by finding a frequency you like in the kick and also, a frequency you like in the bass. Many times I find that around 90hz on kicks and around 120 in basses (it depends on the kick and bass sounds, of course). Then I notch out the kick's frequency I like from the bass, and also the bass' frequency from the kick. So they can both live together alright in the lower part of the spectrum. Check trick number one here (I just found out that their number two trick is the one I explained to you before):

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/2-si...udio-11557

About delay for the bass, I always use a mono delay centered. Just remember that kick, bass and their reverb or delays should stay centered for a better result (don't spread them out. That's for other frequencies). For delays and reverbs I don't apply them directly on the track but on an auxiliary track. It's called a send-return effect in the book you're reading. So you can have more control of the sound. For basses I prefer to use delays rather than reverbs because they don't mud the mix as much as a reverb and especially on the difficult lower frequencies.

I hope I could help you with my hints Smile

mixing since April 2013

Messages In This Thread
Jules King - Never Stop - by Jonn D. Horn - 16-07-2015, 01:05 PM
RE: Jules King - Never Stop - by juanjose1967 - 18-07-2015, 09:44 AM
RE: Jules King - Never Stop - by Jonn D. Horn - 18-07-2015, 12:02 PM
RE: Jules King - Never Stop - by juanjose1967 - 18-07-2015, 03:28 PM
RE: Jules King - Never Stop - by Jonn D. Horn - 14-08-2015, 07:45 PM
RE: Jules King - Never Stop - by manuke - 12-08-2015, 07:56 AM
RE: Jules King - Never Stop - by Jonn D. Horn - 14-08-2015, 07:58 PM
RE: Jules King - Never Stop - by Jonn D. Horn - 14-08-2015, 08:00 PM