Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Tiring Mix: A different take on it.
darn it.....now i've gotta mix this!

i like your take on it. i think there's a couple of things going on here that's working against you. one is excess. if you downmix to mono (and then play it back over one speaker only to avoid phase messing you around) you'll hear the issue straight away. i think you need to get more aggressive on what you take out, and what you leave. it always seems easier to mix in stereo for stereo, but this only encourages panning to avoid masking. but nobody ever listens in the sweet spot so what we end up hearing is the accumulative output from both speakers all mashed up in the room. EQ ruthlessly here and check for clarity in mono and i think you'll begin to find what you are missing.

there's something else this mix is lacking - excitement. your treble region is sitting very comfortably, well done for the pleasant ride, but i'd think about working the spectrum more, but perhaps a lot of that will come from clearing the mix of excess material.

i'm kinda missing punch and dynamics which is perhaps causing a loss of emotion too? perhaps you've been compressing stuff a little more in order to retain some clarity in the instruments? that would be valid strategy in a busy mix for sure, but i'm thinking this mix wouldn't need it if you can clear out some excess. hmmmmm, i keep coming back to the excess again, don't i.

wotduyafink?

PS: i have issues with drums from the drummer's perspective....because i'm in the audience and it looks silly on TV or when i close my eyes and engage in the illusion of space Big Grin
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
Tiring Mix: A different take on it. - by jerze - 24-06-2015, 11:29 PM
RE: Tiring Mix: A different take on it. - by The_Metallurgist - 25-06-2015, 03:26 PM