Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much Too Much - Dags mix (Sorry in advance for the long rambles - sheesh!)
Happy Easter for those who celebrate - or if you're like me and you just take advantage of any excuse to eat lots of chocolate Big Grin

Working on a bigger, brighter, spacier version of the previous one.
...well, hopefully it's all that. My ears burned out an hour ago.

I have panned the various reed & brass instruments evenly across the field, no longer dictated by their actual position in the room, to get a bit more balance to the force....and I got tired of having my right ear slammed by all that brass.

Reduced the level of the room channel so the close mics now contribute more to the sound, allowing more space to open up when the horn section stops playing, and the instruments themselves aren't as loud in the mix as a result of losing some of the energy from the lowered room mic channel.

BTW, I got the delay time of the 'combining' reverb wrong in my previous post - it's only 0.3s.

Also added a slight delay to the lead instruments (vocals, trombone and alto sax) to give them a bit more 'life'. The delay sends to trom & sax have been cut when the instrument isn't playing it's lead part.

Oh Blush in the previous versions, in my silly eagerness to emulate the analogue tape recordings of 'ye days of olde' for this style of music I'd made a gentle HF rolloff across the master out - yeah, ok, stupid idea. 20kHz can now be heard in all its glory Smile

Ok - to bed!

Dags

[edit the next day: Hmmm.....to be honest I prefer the sound in the previous version with having the room mics up a bit in the mix. Though the song has more rise and fall of the background ambience when the horns aren't playing in V3, it's missing some of the 'live space' energy of the snare reflecting everywhere. I probably only need to push it up 1-2dB to split the difference. Will tackle it again in a day or so when my head clears - I think I'm fighting off a cold]
So many songs, so little time!

Messages In This Thread
Much Too Much - Dags mix V2 - by Dags - 30-03-2013, 07:50 AM
RE: Much Too Much - Dags mix (help!) - by Dags - 30-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Much Too Much - Dags mix V3 (deleted file) - by Dags - 30-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Much Too Much - Dags mix - final! - by Dags - 01-04-2013, 11:53 AM
RE: Much Too Much - Dags mix - final! - by Aris - 21-01-2014, 09:45 PM