Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homebound - Matt's mix
Thanks Dave, really appreciate you listening and commenting. This was pretty tricky to actually 'mix' because the two files were both stereo wavs, one of which was an acoustic guitar already mixed with a vocal, and the other was the banjo already mixed with a vocal!! They weren't separated L/R, M/S or anything like that, they were already blended. (ARGH!)

So my approach, as you suspected, was to try and get it sounding like one guy sitting with an acoustic singing, next to another singing guy with a banjo. I used the Flux StereoTool (I love it, so handy for monitoring phase issues, precise stereo placement and it's free) to narrow the stereo tracks dramatically so they just appeared to go from C to a bit L and C to a bit R. I hadn't appreciated that of course if anyone listens on phones the separation between the two will be extreme.

If I get time to return to this I'll notch the acoustic as you suggest and widen things out a bit, but other than that there's not much that I can do because of the format we were supplied with (it was ever thus...)

Glad you liked the ambience - I find Quantum Leap Spaces to be extraordinary in recreating real space. It's not so great at other types of 'verb and it's barely editable at all, but it's very good at what it does. My budget isn't going to stretch to Altiverb or something like that for a long time, though the new Waves H-Reverb looks quite interesting as well for 'different' sounds. Any other recommendations I should look at?

Thanks again for listening.

Cheers

Matt

Messages In This Thread
Homebound - Matt's mix - by londonmatt - 21-05-2015, 07:19 PM
RE: Homebound - Matt's mix - by The_Metallurgist - 22-05-2015, 06:18 PM
RE: Homebound - Matt's mix - by londonmatt - 22-05-2015, 09:08 PM
RE: Homebound - Matt's mix - by The_Metallurgist - 26-05-2015, 11:39 PM