Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homebound - Matt's mix
hi Matt,

just popping in to see what your approach to mixing was.

2 tracks? i've not pulled this one, nor listened to other mixes, so i'm flying blind here, so take the comments with that in mind, yeah? i'm also on cans, which are pretty revealing. i'm on low level monitoring, so my comments about harshness will be further exposed with more SPL.

the first observation is the spectal imbalance between the channels. the left is clearly warmer than the RHS and it's making the listening experience skewed as a consequence. the problem is the cans are separating the channels with brutality which a pair of speakers probably would tend to mask ordinarily. i also note the vocals are in separate channels. i think i'd have a go at addressing this spectral skew as well as try and go some way to overcoming the fact that my binaural senses are being deprived of a conventional acoustic space. that is, i should be hearing one vocal more in one ear than the other, rather than only in one ear. same with the instruments too. i'm guessing the tracks are vocals in one and instruments in the other? that would make presenting the sound stage a lot easier in the mix. and we also have the additional benefit that if the chaps are occupying one track, that being of the same gender means the application of EQ or whatever, should make life easier, if only a little less than ideal.

the acoustic gtr has some harshness occasionally, perhaps it's an errant harmonic that's peeping through now and again, or maybe a result to the air you've applied. one area of the spectrum which can be harsh, is around the 4kHz area. have a go at tucking it in a bit with a notch that suits, and see how it shapes up.....while keeping the air in, if possible. i'm also wondering if there was some of the acoustic also in the LH channel (that binaural thing), that it's apparent brightness might be less exposed because my left ear wouldn't be working so hard? difficult for me to deduce without knowing the materials so i'm afraid i can't help much on that score. may be have a poke about and see what shakes.

regarding the sound stage and your choice of stereo width.....i'm wondering how the song would sound with the instruments a bit wider than the vocals? if it was your intention to have the vocals also seem to be playing the instruments, then ignoring my idea would be wise Wink I do think though, from a listener's perspective, it might make the song a little more interesting spatially? let your ears be the judge, hey. it's a subjective thing though....not a criticism.

i personally find the simple tracking projects a lot more difficult to mix, simply because our listening attention is so focused on so few things....it's in the spotlight, in all it's naked glory. i might have a peep at this one later on, you've fired up my curiosity!

nice subtle ambiance, and tastefully applied - effective. i liked that.

thanks for the opportunity to have a listen Wink
cheers
D
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
Homebound - Matt's mix - by londonmatt - 21-05-2015, 07:19 PM
RE: Homebound - Matt's mix - by The_Metallurgist - 22-05-2015, 06:18 PM
RE: Homebound - Matt's mix - by londonmatt - 22-05-2015, 09:08 PM
RE: Homebound - Matt's mix - by The_Metallurgist - 26-05-2015, 11:39 PM