Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Burning Bridges Mix worked on for days
(02-03-2015, 04:03 PM)takka360 Wrote: Mixing is very hard and takes a very long time to mix really well and this mix is deffo a very hard mix anyway for anyone.

hmmm. I think Burning Bridges is quite easy and you don't need much to make it sound "right". High/lowpass filter and stock reverb, delay, eq and compressor is everything you need imho. The vocals are allready processed to a degree (edited, eq'ed and compressed with fx allready on it), rhythm guitar and bass tones are compatible. You do need to automate the volume faders to bring the right instrument/track in the spotlight and back into the mix if something else is more interesting/important. But other than that I´m not sure why so many people decide to aggressively change the original sound of the recorded tracks and totally mess things up. Why do you put heavy distortion on allready heavily distorted guitars and make them unlistenable, boomy and flat like a dead bird on a highway? Or excessively use reverb on a metal track that should be "in your face"? I don't think a mixer should completely change the sound of a band - he should enhance it. If a band wants to sound like Kyuss and the recorded tracks are allready very close to this sound I don't think that your job is to make them sound like `tallica from the 80s just because you love that sound.

That's why i don't like this mix. It tries to change the sound of a band that doesn't want to sound like early Slayer or Metallica. And on top of that the mix just doesnt sound good. It's flat, there is too much distortion all over the place, there is way too much reverb and the snare sticks out of the sound like the burj al arab in Dubai. And you completely missed to bring out all the details: I can't hear the toms before the 1st chorus at 0:33. I can't hear the toms at 0:52 - they are crucial to move you into the next verse. If you don't put those toms in the spotlight there is no need to even include any toms in your mix - they can't be heard anyway. And the list goes on: I can't hear the guitars in the screamo part. The second chorus hits like a wet noodle - where is the BANG, where is the movement? Every verse sounds the same, every chorus sounds the same. Why is the 1st solo completey masked with this annoying delay? I can't even hear what notes the guitarist is playing. Where is the second half of the solo? Why is there no BANG when the 3rd chorus hits? Where are the melody guitars in the last chorus? I can't hear them. Where is the double bass?

You can bash me for writing this and that's totally understandable. I'm not a pro mixer and everything I wrote is just my 2 cents and you can choose to completely ignore me =) I do understand that you want to make some things different. But you should really work on the basics before trying to do things different or even think about stuff like side chaining. You might wanna check this article with Andy Wallace if you like old slayer and stuff:

http://therecordingrevolution.com/2014/0...y-wallace/

Edit: For me, Takkas latest mix of Burning Bridges is one of the best here on this forum. You might want to check it out. I really like how the chorus hits the listener - every time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Burning Bridges Mix worked on for days - by Blitzzz - 02-03-2015, 04:31 PM