Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Metallurgist does µ's -Too Bright
I'll reply to mik and Dave in the same post, no need for quotes or anything.

To mik, no need for any of that. There are misunderstandings here on both sides, and it's pretty clear to me that what I said isn't necessarily what I was trying to say.

To Dave:

I re-read my comments and better understand (what I perceived to be) the cool, slightly hostile reaction. I probably didn't react to it very well, either, because I'm sensitive (ain't that cute?) and emotions influence perception.

If we'd been having this conversation face to face, whilst listening to the mix, I'm pretty confident my comments would make more sense.

On the face of it, it probably does seem like I'm against creativity in mixing... not the case, though. It's true, I don't often indulge in creative opportunities, and never to the extent you do... although I make creative decisions and mute tracks more than you're suggesting Wink but it tends to be a lot more subtle. The reason is partly, like you said, I'm still learning. It'd be far too easy for me to shoot myself in the foot with creative edits and heavy FX use that shadow the technical mix problems. Also, you called it terms of reference, which I suppose isn't a wrong name for it, but it's not my taste... I can work a heavily produced mix, but as with your version, I'm unconstrained by an artist's brief, so I mostly stick to vanilla mixing for the purpose of learning. Get the boring stuff right first, basically. You didn't say it outright, but it goes along with what you said that I don't use appropriate amounts of automation... I concede that humbly. Need to get better about that.

You're right, my mixing situation is limited compared to yours... but not quite as bad as you think. And it's true, my monitors are toppy (too small) and the acoustic treatment isn't as extensive as it should be. And better gear is always good, and it has gotten better since the last time we discussed it. Not expensive, but a lot more accurate than what I started with. My mix for this tune is all over the place, yes, but it's due to lack of discipline in taking proper breaks and inappropriate over-attention to factors that aren't under our control moreso than my environment. In fact, listening to some of my very early work with the moderate upgrades I've applied is a little embarassing, now that I can actually hear it...

Anyway, one man's overproduced is another man's underproduced and I failed to show proper respect for your personal taste, and I'm sorry for that, regardless of whether or not it offended you.

What's bothering me... I'm a little taken aback at the sudden shift in what you're saying about my ability now versus what you've said in the past. A couple of my mixes you actually seemed to think were pretty good, on the face of it... one mix you felt was in the upper quartile of technical merit on the forum, at the time. You're always invited to comment and express your views on my mixes because I respect your experience and ability, but if you were wearing the kid gloves and mollycoddling me before, and what I see now is how you've felt all along... well, I'm not sure how to feel about that, other than confused. I take your feedback very seriously, and as such your remarks constitute a very big part of my terms of reference... but now I feel like you're backing out on at least some of that? Encouragement is always welcome of course... but you can feel free to say what you mean without reservation, no need to spare my feelings. Here to learn.

Thanks for replying, and I hope you'll continue to welcome my feedback in the future.

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Metallurgist does µ's -Too Bright - by pauli - 12-02-2015, 11:56 PM