Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
μ - Too Bright (ZX Mix)
Firstly the fixes.

The reverb on the vocal at that point is completely purposeful and I fed it into algorithmic reverb with just a bit of pre eq to enhance the top. To me it made sense to give it a big "uplift" (almost) before the chorus and then have the energy drop slowly to create that explosion effect. So, I didn't change that. I did however raise the vocal levels slightly and did something I should have done in the original, raising the side volume of the background vox to give it a bit more "width". Kick volume unadjusted. Though I did try that just to see how it sounded. It actually lost power and I didn't want that. So, giving the vox like a 1-2dB jump seemed to fix it and give keep it at roughly the right power level IMO.

The drums in the second verse are actually not treated at all differently then they were in the first verse or the breakdown. However, it appears that the snare is being hit harder which actually caused the bit reduction to act more aggressively. So, since I already treated the rhodes differently (gave it a nice little delay to enhance its arpiness) I figured I'd give a try to letting the bit reduction stay off. I had to raise the level a bit and now they're pretty much all natural. The problem I feel with it now is that it sounds just as off at least IMO. Another thing to keep in mind is that I monoed the drums as well so they don't sound as "full" as if they were stereo.

Oh and I gave a lift to the vocal level in the second verse which is not any different than I did in the breakdown.

The vox effect going into the last chorus was almost an act of desperation honestly. I did not like letting the track hang and then explode. So, I thought what I might do in an electronic composition to make it sound more interesting. First, I'd probably try some filter sweeps. I tried it on the background vox initially and was quite pleased. Then I applied it to the lead. Though I felt it was still lacking so I tried some rhythmic gating that you might here in a Trance track. To add just a little bit of extra I moved one of the cymbals and reversed it. Seemed to work quite I felt.

Thanks for the listen and comments!

Check this post for an updated version of the mix and here for a 16-bit WAV.

.mp3    μ - Too Bright (ZX Mix) [lossy]_2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.25 MB)

Messages In This Thread
μ - Too Bright (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 05-02-2015, 03:49 AM
RE: μ - Too Bright (ZX Mix) - by laurieharrison - 06-02-2015, 11:17 AM
RE: μ - Too Bright (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 06-02-2015, 11:48 PM
RE: μ - Too Bright (ZX Mix) - by pauli - 07-02-2015, 08:11 AM
RE: μ - Too Bright (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 07-02-2015, 02:38 PM