Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Bright mix from a newbie
Typing as I listen:

Somewhat bold move keeping the rhodes so bassy. Drums sound pretty crisp. Vocal is perhaps a bit too "edgy" and could use some more obvious reverb to give it a better sense of space. Though it does sound quite intimate. The chorus has no impact at all. The song actually loses energy going into it. Drums are weaker sounding, vocals are weaker sounding, and the bass loses power as well. Again the vocal sounds a bit too "edgy" and what I mean by that is you've got it right up to the point where it really should be down just a notch in the high end. Again the drums sound pretty good in the verse as does the rhodes and the synths. Then the chorus comes up and you lose all impact and power. Try using the stereo field to make it "bigger" sounding. Use EQ to control the difference between the two different sections of the track. Good job on the guitars though! That sounds good nice and in the back with the wubby synth placement just perfect. Then another chorus pops in and it just loses all impact again. That guitar at the very end though sounds all right.

So, yeah basically the biggest problem with this mix IMO is simply the chorus. You got the verses pretty much spot on. Almost sounds like you're limiting it a bit too much. First thing I would do is focus on which instrument is doing what and what you want it to contribute to the song in that section. Also, give that low end room to breathe. That will help a lot with opening up the chorus. Really you kind of want the song to explode there as the verse is pretty quite and timid. Then again so is the chorus but you have to make the chorus come more alive. Get aggressive with the EQ because you need to be aggressive with it in this song.

For the most part you really ignored the stereo field except for some delays. Use it more to your advantage. It will help create better separation of the instruments and allow you more room to work with.

Now, regarding the vocal levels. Honestly it sounds like if you get the chorus to impact harder then the vocal issue will probably sort itself out. At least if I'm right in what I suspect, that is a bit too much limiting. You'd be surprised at how simple of an adjustment can make such a big change in the way something sounds.

Messages In This Thread
Too Bright mix from a newbie - by r00tman - 02-02-2015, 06:24 PM
RE: Too Bright mix from a newbie - by APZX - 03-02-2015, 01:54 AM
RE: Too Bright mix from a newbie - by pauli - 03-02-2015, 11:47 AM
RE: Too Bright mix from a newbie - by pauli - 03-02-2015, 07:19 PM
RE: Too Bright mix from a newbie - by r00tman - 03-02-2015, 09:10 PM
RE: Too Bright mix from a newbie - by pauli - 03-02-2015, 10:27 PM
RE: Too Bright mix from a newbie - by APZX - 04-02-2015, 03:34 AM
RE: Too Bright mix from a newbie - by pauli - 04-02-2015, 10:33 PM
RE: Too Bright mix from a newbie - by APZX - 05-02-2015, 02:31 AM
RE: Too Bright mix from a newbie - by pauli - 05-02-2015, 05:10 AM