Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set Me Free mik123
(01-02-2015, 07:20 AM)ptalbot Wrote: Well, you certainly put your own sonic footprint on this one mik123! Smile
A few things on that I really like, in particular the dissonant passage starting around 1:06 before the keys solo and that is played again at the end. I like the wide horns and the toms/snare treatment which is quite radical but sounds cool. This whole passage is nicely balanced and full sounding and this is the place in your mix which is really working. I also like the sound of the rhythm guitars during the guitar solo. The lead sound is not bad but perhaps a little crowded by the rest of the tracks.
What I really hate though, sorry to say, is the treatment of the rhodes, the distortion on it is overbearing and simply sounds bad to me. I don't see why you treated as badly as this... The keys solo really doesn't make any sense with such a sound.
The vocal treatment I found pretty bad as well, the slapback is overdone, and the general sound of the vocal sounds like it was tracked in a bathroom. Ouch! The bgvs on the other hand are rather dry which I'm not sure is helping.
I don't know if you've used the midi to replace the bass part, but it sounds like a synth more than a bass, and lacks the punch and dynamic of the original. I'm not a big fan of it either.
The drums are not too bad, if different, I think they work. They sound possibly a little too compressed (cymbals in particular).
So overall, a few good things, but I cannot say I like it overall.
I respect your vision and the fact that you tried something else, so yes, it's different, but it's just not working IMHO.

Hi!

Thanks for yours comments!

I will try again with second version! Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Set Me Free mik123 - by mik123 - 31-01-2015, 08:51 PM
RE: Set Me Free mik123 - by ptalbot - 01-02-2015, 07:20 AM
RE: Set Me Free mik123 - by mik123 - 01-02-2015, 07:39 PM
RE: Set Me Free mik123 - by mik123 - 06-02-2015, 11:39 AM
RE: Set Me Free mik123 - by ptalbot - 06-02-2015, 06:26 PM