Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
devils words NEED HELP
I'd like to start off by saying I'm no pro mixing engineer, just a guy who loves doing it and is eager to learn. Also, I'm listening to this on headphones because my listening environment sucks.

Having said that, there were some things I liked about the mix and some things I did not prefer. I say prefer because after a certain point its just a matter of taste and not right or wrong. I liked tone and dynamics of the guitar, sounded nice. I felt the drums were a little too washy and sub heavy.. kind of felt like it was under water or floating. For this song I prefer tight punchy drums.

I also thought the vocal reverb didn't quite fit the rest of the mix. It seemed a little short.. like in a bathroom or something. The dynamics of the vocal were good though. I thought the verse guitar clashed a little bit with the vocal.. it was panned right on top of her. I did however really like the compression on it. I had a hard time getting that thing to sit.. the flange makes it hard for me to compress the way I wanted to.

I like the creativity with the tom placement, but it kind of seemed like they were in front of her vocal.. kind of distracted me. I wasn't really into the loop you placed in the bridge.. kind of a different vibe. I see what you were trying to do but I didn't really feel like it fit.

The songs overall dynamic balance was nice though. Has a nice balance to it.

Hope I wasn't too harsh, but I'm honest about this stuff. Criticism is what makes us improve. If you get a chance check out my mix. Thanks.

-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650

Messages In This Thread
devils words NEED HELP - by mike - 18-01-2015, 02:56 PM
RE: devils words NEED HELP - by iShouldBsleeping - 22-01-2015, 02:10 PM
RE: devils words NEED HELP - by mike - 22-01-2015, 09:23 PM
RE: devils words NEED HELP - by loweche6 - 23-01-2015, 04:58 AM
RE: devils words NEED HELP - by mike - 23-01-2015, 01:05 PM
RE: devils words NEED HELP - by mike - 23-01-2015, 02:05 PM