Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
SpedeMix of Too Bright is not too bright IMO :)
(03-01-2015, 05:30 PM)Spede Wrote: Regarding the low end and kick drum. The main issue with the kick is it's a kind of kick whose low end starts higher and then sweeps lower, like a divebomb.

IMO the sweeping kick is perfect for the choruses, which genre-hop pretty boldly into dubstep. I'd sacrifice clarity for power in this case, but also don't think a little EQ bump where the attack happens would hurt. It would make it more actively heard, though, especially on lower end systems. Although listening to dub on a lower end system is a sad prospect...

Quote:I did a listen with the hipass thing you mentioned. I do notice there's quite a lot of bottom end on the sides coming from the extra synths. I guess it was partly intentional in order to get more bigness..

There's a hell of a lot of bass in the sides and IMO that's completely self defeating both in terms of wideness-big and power/loudness-big. From about 125 down, the human ear design can't discern directionality, so our brains automatically assume it's centered. Why not open things up by highpassing from 125 down from the sides of the stereo buss? I think that'd focus the bass and kick a good deal more, and it'd still probably make the mix feel wider since the side channels won't be clogged up with stuff the sounds like it's in the center anyway. My experience is that when there's excessive content in the stereo spread it makes compressing the mix a lot harder to do smoothly, too.

Quote:Thanks pauli for the Mind Bokeh recommendation. I don't listen enough of this kind of music, which shows in my mixes. Smile

Thing I love about mix, I now listen to so much music I'd have never thought I could love so much before. My whole life I've been a musician and lover of music, but never realized how much I was missing. Mind Bokeh unfortunately got frigged up a bit in the mastering phase (I'm assuming) but it's still a great listen... I hope you like it. You could do a lot worse than check out Bibio's other records, too.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
RE: SpedeMix of Too Bright is not too bright IMO :) - by pauli - 03-01-2015, 06:53 PM