Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Through My Eyes MIX
Hi Mike,

Thanks, for your elaborate feedback!
After listening to my first (quick) mix I agree with the low end of the lead-vocal. I tamed it a little bit. (mix2)

Regarding the stereo image: I am not really sure whether I align with the general stereo image comment. I tried to enhance the image on the solo guitar, as a sort of spot effect, but for the rest I didnt' really feel need for extra spot effects/wideners. I am really curious if you can give some concrete spots/effects where you would like to hear the extra depth!

Funny that you mention it, I find the 700Hz region can be tricky sometimes: too much of it and it can sound 'cheap' , to less and you can lose 'meat'. In the new mix I dialled back a little bit of low-mids, however It feels that it's at the edge of getting muddy...?

RJ

(20-02-2013, 01:23 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Lovely opening vocal sound as far, as the highs are concerned in particular, although with perhaps a touch too much low mids. Yes, they do give intimacy, but it's a trade-off between that and woolliness. The balance when the full band arrive is well-judged and well-controlled, and has slightly more rhythmic drive than my version, which I quite like. (It's your weightier kick that's doing it, I think.) It actually gives a bit more ebb and flow to the section dynamics too, which appeals to me as well. Good idea!

The HF jangle on the acoustic guitars is more that I did too, but again I like the way you've made it work. It doesn't go so far that it distracts from the lead lines, but gives a twinkliness to the arrangement as a whole that makes the mark-tree tinklings somehow more of a natural extension. An interesting side-effect.

One suggestion: I think your mix feels a bit narrow in stereo. A few spots of widener-effect here and there and a touch more realism and 'height' in the communal space you're creating with your reverbs would be improvements to my ears. A touch more 700kHz might not be a bad idea either -- because there's a hint of hollowness about the ensemble texture a times. You could probably get away with allowing a bit more of the low midrange from the guitars and piano through into the balance, even if that means pulling back the bass a little in that region. That might help your mix envelop the listener a bit more.

Thanks for posting!

Messages In This Thread
Through My Eyes MIX - by ERJEE - 06-01-2013, 04:55 PM
RE: Through My Eyes MIX - by ERJEE - 09-01-2013, 03:39 PM
RE: Through My Eyes MIX - by Mike Senior - 20-02-2013, 01:23 PM
RE: Through My Eyes MIX - by ERJEE - 25-02-2013, 04:16 PM
RE: Through My Eyes MIX - by JohnSmith - 07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
RE: Through My Eyes MIX - by ERJEE - 15-03-2013, 08:27 AM
RE: Through My Eyes MIX - by ERJEE - 15-03-2024, 11:14 AM