Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down the rabbit hole...
the bass line is gobbling up headroom by the boat load so i'd revisit that as a matter of priority. you should find the vocal will sit better in the mix when you clear out the mud in the low-mids; her vocal is being out-dominated by all the butch machismo action in the sides here. i think i'd smack the bass synth around quite a bit and make a few different tracks from it, and EQ each track to have it's own sonic contribution to the mix - hello distortion toys. at least this way you can pan the lighter elements more out to the sides and leave the weighty stuff near or in the middle. there's also some scope perhaps to automate the panning and get some movement working in an otherwise static arrangement...this is electronic so stuff can move without it seeming odd. the elements with more treble could be hacked to get upto some stereo mischief with fx to your taste. in headphones, it otherwise makes for difficult listening because of the dominant and somewhat weighty elements you have wide in the sides currently and the lack of continuity in the opposite channel. on that front, if you have a beast you want to pan out to a side and the mix is sounding skewed in the stereo panorama, i strongly recommend getting up to some Haas mischief. if you EQ the ghost track with less treble and play with it's timing to best effect (from a phase perspective), it will help retain the balance L and R for the listener without changing the illusion of it's original pan. just watch out for frequency build up though, but normally this wouldn't be too much of an issue in a sparse arrangement, and in a busy one it's likely there will be an alternative instrument that can be panned opposite in order to retain symmetry anyway.

the great thing with electronic music is that we have no conceptual understanding of how the instruments should sound or behave, unlike acoustic stuff for example....we all know how a piano should sound. so this leaves a lot of scope for sonic mischief to support the concept of the song...in stereo Big Grin Wink

go wild Big Grin
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
Down the rabbit hole... - by pauli - 29-10-2014, 02:51 PM
RE: Down the rabbit hole... - by The_Metallurgist - 01-11-2014, 09:54 AM
RE: Down the rabbit hole... - by pauli - 01-11-2014, 05:37 PM
RE: Down the rabbit hole... - by ptalbot - 01-11-2014, 06:46 PM
RE: Down the rabbit hole... - by pauli - 01-11-2014, 07:17 PM
RE: Down the rabbit hole... - by ptalbot - 01-11-2014, 07:31 PM
RE: Down the rabbit hole... - by The_Metallurgist - 01-11-2014, 10:33 PM
RE: Down the rabbit hole... - by pauli - 02-11-2014, 06:20 AM
RE: Down the rabbit hole... - by Obelix - 01-07-2015, 10:56 AM