Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Horses - HB Mix
just a quick ob's, while crunching my way through a mandatory morning's muesli (and VERY mindful that i haven't yet had a cup of tea, so i'm still a little dysfunctional).. Big Grin

l really liked the tone of the acoustic here, it was bright where it needed to be, but for me a touch on the edgy side for comfort - some of the string action can bite a bit. i thought it was too up front in the mix for my liking in the panorama, close enough for the guitarist to be sitting on my knees, kind of feeling. if you dropped it back into the room with some choice ambiance it would help meld with the rest of the band. while doing so, it leaves some scope to round off some of the treble region which i think could do with a touch of dynamic control now and again...some enthusiastic notes pop up from time to time which i found distracting though i dare say an acoustic guitarist would want more of it. i think i'd also review the ambiance strategy on the Egtrs also to put them in the room more and help present a more illusive feeling of space and ambiance.

now, this vocal.....you got up to some sweet mischief here! and i loved the outcome. made it really interesting and refreshing. one might argue about it's applicability to the genre in a fussy world, but i personally couldn't care less. yep, subjective....but it appealed to my taste. cool stuff.

the guitars feel like they are holding the stage and the drummer's not quite getting enough of a look in? the overall tonality you've aimed for in the mix feels like a brighter side of neutral which helps the vibe quite nicely. the problem for me though, is the drums aren't fitting into the delivery so well as they otherwise might, like they are taking a bit of a back seat? but this would be an easy fix...

i'd like to comment on the bass in this mix; something's not quite right. i'd need to take it in the studio for a closer inspection (the HD560's are merely saying "problem" but can't define it), but it sounds like an EQ issue on the bass gtr and perhaps even the kick and their interactions? ....it's pretty muddy down there. if you down-mix to mono and switch one of the speakers off [so you avoid phase issues], you'll hear what i mean. this will confirm the drum kit issue too, the snare is the major clue. perhaps check your monitoring in the low end. i'd run some selective test tones for the bass zone and measure the outcomes on your SPL meter at the monitoring position. you could also loop a fixed tone and wander around the room and see what mischief it might be up to. without the tea, it also sounds like the bass is messing around with the acoustic in the 125Hz zone too..

this might help: http://realtraps.com/test-cd.htm Be warned...... the results will probably shock you Wink

laters m8

PS: it's nice to see and "hear" someone taking their audio quality seriously in the loudness normalization department. Big Grin

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
Dark Horses - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 31-10-2014, 09:47 AM
RE: Dark Horses - HB Mix - by The_Metallurgist - 31-10-2014, 11:44 AM
RE: Dark Horses - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 31-10-2014, 01:14 PM
RE: Dark Horses - HB Mix - by The_Metallurgist - 02-11-2014, 10:42 PM
RE: Dark Horses - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 03-11-2014, 03:45 AM
RE: Dark Horses - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 31-10-2014, 02:54 PM
RE: Dark Horses - HB Mix - by ptalbot - 31-10-2014, 03:31 PM
RE: Dark Horses - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 31-10-2014, 09:50 PM
RE: Dark Horses - HB Mix - by takka360 - 01-11-2014, 11:48 PM
RE: Dark Horses - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 02-11-2014, 12:07 AM