Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preach right here - Marco's mix
Heard it back and yes, snare way too compressed, maybe master too. Also vocals could sound better with dynamics maybe, but i remember that less made me hear it moving forward and back too much. Maybe should've worked on time constants there.
Usually when i got compression issues is on the other side, my teacher always told me i should not fear to go to compression because my mixes sounded too live-sounding (as that was my reference, came from years of live playing with bands so i was used to not compressed music).
In this case defintely did too much instead, I'm happy someone warned me about that. Think i'm allright with theory and workflow things, and just use tools if my ears tell me to correct something, but have to improve practice for sure, i'm experimenting with these mixes to find the right compromises so help is welcome. Did you find anything you liked (or not as bad as the rest) in my mix?

One thing I learned that i want to share with you is there isn't a single right way to do things (mixes in particular). Mixes are the result of the interaction between you and the tracks, of your vision of the song, so things like objectiveness or unbreakable general rules are self illusions, there are just things that work for you, for your way to go and your aims (and tastes). Looking things from this point of view you can explain why some "weird-sounding" records sold a lot. Think of what people said when the first grunge records went out, or even one famous metal band - you know that if you hate loudness war - sold music with very few dBs of dynamic range through the entire album. Not that i like that, but someone did it and still sold a lot so you never can tell, it always remains a matter of points of view.

Thanks for commenting, i will take in mind your good observations in my future mixes!

Messages In This Thread
Preach right here - Marco's mix - by marco - 24-09-2014, 03:17 AM
RE: Preach right here - Marco's mix - by marco - 24-09-2014, 06:36 PM
RE: Preach right here - Marco's mix - by marco - 24-09-2014, 08:11 PM
RE: Preach right here - Marco's mix - by marco - 25-09-2014, 07:46 PM
RE: Preach right here - Marco's mix - by marco - 26-09-2014, 07:10 PM
RE: Preach right here - Marco's mix - by marco - 29-09-2014, 03:38 AM
RE: Preach right here - Marco's mix - by marco - 29-09-2014, 07:24 AM
RE: Preach right here - Marco's mix - by marco - 30-09-2014, 02:15 AM
RE: Preach right here - Marco's mix - by marco - 30-09-2014, 06:31 AM
RE: Preach right here - Marco's mix - by marco - 30-09-2014, 04:46 PM
RE: Preach right here - Marco's mix - by marco - 01-10-2014, 04:52 AM