Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Griffo - Pennies
(21-01-2013, 02:24 PM)Robert Wrote: I'd love Mike to pop by and offer some advice on this mix.

Righty ho! Big Grin

Your vocals, kick, bass, and snare are making the guitars and cymbals sound distant and small to me. A bit more aggression on the compression front might help with the drums, but I'd also maybe give the overheads a bit less EQ, and chuck out any gates you've got going, to try and give the kit more internal complexity. It's sounding too much like a selection of instruments, rather than like a real kit. The snare is very 'single-point' in the time-domain too, in that if you smash out the transient with mix-limiting the drum balance suffers unduly. (Whether that matters to you will depend on where you and your clients stand on the mastering loudness issue.)

Overall the mix feels very narrow. Normally I'm complaining about mono compatibility issues with Young Griffo mixes, so it's nice to complain about the opposite for a change! Wink I'd recommend something in at least the choruses to try to open things out, and I'd probably opt for a fake edited-together double-track out of choice, unless you can record your own double in.

Messages In This Thread
Young Griffo - Pennies - by Robert - 18-01-2013, 03:23 PM
RE: Young Griffo - Pennies - by Artbass - 21-01-2013, 11:43 AM
RE: Young Griffo - Pennies - by Robert - 21-01-2013, 02:24 PM
RE: Young Griffo - Pennies - by Mike Senior - 19-02-2013, 10:29 PM
RE: Young Griffo - Pennies - by Robert - 20-02-2013, 01:15 PM