Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Carrie Anne SpedeMix
Well, this is anything but a conservative mix.

This could all be subjective, because your interpretation is flying in a completely different direction than mine, but I wonder a little bit about how effective some of the creative choices are. The odd telephonic effect on the piano in the intro is a good idea, especially because it gives the mix room to open up more gradually into the strings, but does it go on a little too long? It caught my ear initially, but then my attention started drifting, because there's so little going on otherwise, and the tonality of the vocal doesn't blend at all for me, and the (tube?) disortion feels a little exposed and effecty. The shift from restricted tonality to fuller tonality in the supportive instruments is really smooth and nice (love it!), but I can't hear the midrange contribution from the pizzicato basses as much as I'd like and the harmonica sounds like it's coming from under a blanket to me... Again it feels to me like the intention is to make more room for a bigger payoff, but I still feel like the mix needs more movement?
Excellent string sound indeed, and really good work letting the Cello shine during the instrumental break... it's really the highlight of your efforts here for me. My main bone of contention though is that I'm really holding out for the big emotional payoff at 2:50, given the restricted and spartan (yet building) nature of what came before... and it just never takes it to 11 for me?

I guess what I mean to say is that there are about a thousand super cool ideas in this mix that are big on creativity and light on execution? Although you said you did this mix quickly, so that may have been your intention... to quickly sketch out some ideas and share. For me the mix is a little incoherent and unfocused, but I still enjoyed listening as I always do with your work. That telephonic piano idea... and the automated tonal expansion... why did I think of that?
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
Hey Carrie Anne SpedeMix - by Spede - 09-09-2014, 10:33 AM
RE: Hey Carrie Anne SpedeMix - by Olli H - 09-09-2014, 11:40 AM
RE: Hey Carrie Anne SpedeMix - by Voelund - 09-09-2014, 02:43 PM
RE: Hey Carrie Anne SpedeMix - by pauli - 10-09-2014, 01:01 AM
RE: Hey Carrie Anne SpedeMix - by Spede - 10-09-2014, 06:54 PM
RE: Hey Carrie Anne SpedeMix - by pauli - 10-09-2014, 09:50 PM
RE: Hey Carrie Anne SpedeMix - by takka360 - 11-09-2014, 07:00 PM