Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wesley Morgan 'Flesh and Bone' EL mix
There's a lovely enveloping sense of warmth here which really appeals to me. There's also an effortless blend to what you've created here, despite the impression that the lead vocal is right in your ear. The balance seems very appropriate too, although I do hanker for a bit more expanse from the squeeze-box at 0:55. It feels very point-source, and although it's quite ear-catching like that, I wonder whether it would be more supportive of the overall vibe to give it a bit more width, slightly less 3kHz, and a bit more lower midrange.

The slide parts start getting a bit overbearing from about 1:54, though, and I think I'd try to sneak in a bit more 800Hz into the lead vocal there, because the whispered delivery seems not to have quite enough substance to carry past them in the balance. There's a quite a lot that automation might be able to do about this, though, even without any EQ, and if you did choose to follow my EQ suggestion, then that might also benefit from being automated too. A very rewarding listen, though, and really frames the musicianship on these multitracks in a sensitive way. Thanks for posting!

(Thanks also for you continuing efforts in providing other Discussion Zone users with feedback -- whether they've already said it or not, you're doing a great job in helping us all build a really educational resource!)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wesley Morgan 'Flesh and Bone' EL mix - by Mike Senior - 18-02-2013, 10:55 PM