Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Howlin - HB Mix
Hey Pauli. Thanks for your feedback and insightful comments. I guess in every mix, the devil is in the detail.....but especially in this mix given the genre and number of tracks at hand....

(20-08-2014, 11:39 PM)pauli Wrote: I would ease up on the overall volume and reverb on the leads, and give a bit more reverb while cutting the highs in the howls...

I did try a wetter howl and drier response, but to my ears i didn't like the interplay with the extended vowel sounds of the howl and the FX

(20-08-2014, 11:39 PM)pauli Wrote: but it sounds to me like they're smothering the entire mix for a brief moment in this version.

That's kinda intentional on my part....if indeed we are talking about the same thing...but the response is designed to very briefly, at certain points only...swell and get big....and return to normal very quickly...but perhaps i could make this slightly more subtle..i was just having fun and being creative

(20-08-2014, 11:39 PM)pauli Wrote: Could the bass use a bit more bite/drive? Could the verse vocals be a teeny bit drier so they could come forward a touch?

For sure.....I guess on any given day it could be different....I'd probably do it slightly differently next week

(20-08-2014, 11:39 PM)pauli Wrote: My observation/opinion is that in this style of music, the strength of the beat should be one of the most critical priorities because that's what's really driving the song.

True.....I think that this could be easily fine tuned at mastering.......i did a quick EQ test in the master buss with my pultec emu...small bottom boost to bring up bass/kick..small boost at 5K to bring out "smack in snare"......done

As ever, your insights are much appreciated and thought provoking.....I'm certainly producing better mixes as a result of them

Messages In This Thread
Howlin - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 19-08-2014, 01:19 PM
RE: Howlin - HB Mix - by pauli - 20-08-2014, 11:39 PM
RE: Howlin - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 22-08-2014, 11:42 AM
RE: Howlin - HB Mix - by pauli - 22-08-2014, 06:23 PM
RE: Howlin - HB Mix - by thelongestyear - 21-09-2014, 09:39 PM
RE: Howlin - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 03-11-2014, 04:07 AM