Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
The Metallurgist's Semantics
(30-06-2014, 08:49 PM)pauli Wrote: ....In this case, some of the reverbs sounds a little bit washy in the context of the mix, and maybe could come down a teeny bit.

i'd use the term "exposed" because it attracts undue attention to itself, if i understand you correctly? i think there is indeed some scope for a re-visit to this part of the mix. i don't know if i'd turn it down or rather maybe make it blend more so it's not quite so prominent? or even do both...but it could be fine tuned, for sure.

Quote:For my personal taste, the bass guitar could be just a teeny bit stronger in the bass frequencies...

i think this would risk putting the mix out of balance, but it also depends on your listening level etc....crank the level up and it might change your view because of the equal loudness thaanngg? i must say, i don't usually crank the monitors up when mixing for the forum, so at louder levels things could get marginally out of shape. i usually instead go the other way, and drop right down so only the mid's are showing and the bass and top end are just about to pop through. it doesn't have the same degree of reliability as 85dB, but it keeps the neighbours happy, and my ears fit. my gear is calibrated, and i do own a decent SPL meter for referencing.

Quote: I'm not sure why, but the snare drum hits sound a little bit more like a "splat" than a "crack," almost like there's some flamming, which is most likely related to the room mic issue you mentioned (I haven't heard the raw tracks, so my observation there may be useless.)

let's not talk drums here. you are totally right. if it was only the snare that was a problem, i'd drop a sample in there. Big Grin

Quote:And some of the distorted guitars sound like they could be a small amount fuller in the low mids.

i totally agree, it's a fair observation. the problems with tracking didn't only stop with the drums, unfortunately. immediately below the filter here, is quite a bump of content. i tried to find a way around it, but decided to opt for caution and clarity. some have bravely waved caution to the wind and pumped the side channels with it, which i can image sounds great in stereo sitting in the sweet spot. however, this, coupled with the bass line, has had it's consequences in allowing low-mid congestion to occur....and i'd bet my pension that over normal consumer speakers it would distort something terrible, and REALLY get out of shape with more amp level!! in a normal situation, i'd encourage the band to find some good space, and get their cabs off the ground and spend time exploring the best mic position, and re-track it. if they don't have the skills or resources, it's always best to find someone who does. once the recordings are made, they will last forever. it's an asset, not a liability. more bands need to think this way.....

Pauli, many thanks for dropping by and sharing your obs with me. it's great that you spend quality time giving feedback; always appreciated. but please go easy on the compliments, you're making me blush! Big Grin

laters
D

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by Olli H - 19-06-2014, 03:55 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by Voelund - 19-06-2014, 04:46 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by pauli - 30-06-2014, 08:49 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by The_Metallurgist - 07-07-2014, 04:24 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by pauli - 07-07-2014, 04:50 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by Blitzzz - 07-07-2014, 11:58 PM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by Blitzzz - 09-07-2014, 12:55 AM
RE: The Metallurgist's Semantics - by bmullen - 08-07-2014, 08:40 PM