Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secretariat-Borderline
(29-05-2014, 02:56 AM)takka360 Wrote: There are so many people on here that load up the tracks get them level and ad some reverb
well does that make it art? Does that make it interesting to hear one mix after another sounding more or less the same.

I disagree. I find different mixes of any given song by different artists are like different members of a family. Sure they resemble each other because they're built from the same material but they're also distinctly recognizable individuals, in some cases radically different from one another (have you ever noticed that siblings in just about every family are usually almost diametrically opposed in personalities? Rolleyes ).

There's nothing wrong with being creative with a mix so long as you're not just pushing the envelope only for the sake of pushing it. Often times what's considered "the norm" for a given art form has become "the norm" for a reason: because it works. In other words, if you're going to push the envelope, don't lick it and cut yourself on it, too; if you're going to go against "the norm," be sure you know why you're ignoring "standard" practice and what effect you're looking for by doing so.

My refusal to use compression in mastering is a good example. I understand why it's done, and I've stated on many occasions in a variety of postings and on my profile exactly why I won't use that technique and I can explain exactly the sound I'm looking for by not using "industry standard" technique.

To extend the "art" metaphor, it's fun to just throw paint at a canvas just because we feel like it, but unless we know where we're throwing the paint and why nothing worthwhile is likely to come out of the endeavour.

(29-05-2014, 02:56 AM)takka360 Wrote: Your mixes sound ok just don't get into a rut of people telling you what to do and stifling your creativity.

Actually, I agree.

When someone offers me input on a mix I evaluate their advice held up against my opinion of their work (if I've heard any) and the overall vision I have for that particular project. If I consider the advice sound, I take it; if I don't, I don't. That simple. How many times have you seen me take a whole bunch of advice but then at the end say, "But I left 'C' the way I had it because I like it that way." Tongue

When someone gives you advice on a piece of art you've created, we artists tend to have the neurotic knee-jerk reaction, assuming they're right in what they say. But... they may not be right. At that point, you need to ask yourself three questions: What don't they like about you work? Why don't they like it? Does their reason for not liking your work have any bearing on what you were trying to accomplish with your work?

When you get to that third question, if the answer is "no" then that's advice you can safely ignore; if the answer is "yes," then it might be advice worth considering. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
Secretariat-Borderline - by NosMos - 27-05-2014, 03:21 PM
RE: Secretariat-Borderline - by flyrecords - 27-05-2014, 04:06 PM
RE: Secretariat-Borderline - by NosMos - 28-05-2014, 03:33 AM
RE: Secretariat-Borderline - by Pedaling Prince - 29-05-2014, 02:14 AM
RE: Secretariat-Borderline - by NosMos - 29-05-2014, 02:42 AM
RE: Secretariat-Borderline - by takka360 - 29-05-2014, 02:56 AM
RE: Secretariat-Borderline - by Pedaling Prince - 29-05-2014, 04:05 AM
RE: Secretariat-Borderline - by takka360 - 29-05-2014, 04:17 AM